WELCOME TO THE CFZ BLOG NETWORK: COME AND JOIN THE FUN

Half a century ago, Belgian Zoologist Bernard Heuvelmans first codified cryptozoology in his book On the Track of Unknown Animals.

The Centre for Fortean Zoology (CFZ) are still on the track, and have been since 1992. But as if chasing unknown animals wasn't enough, we are involved in education, conservation, and good old-fashioned natural history! We already have three journals, the largest cryptozoological publishing house in the world, CFZtv, and the largest cryptozoological conference in the English-speaking world, but in January 2009 someone suggested that we started a daily online magazine! The CFZ bloggo is a collaborative effort by a coalition of members, friends, and supporters of the CFZ, and covers all the subjects with which we deal, with a smattering of music, high strangeness and surreal humour to make up the mix.

It is edited by CFZ Director Jon Downes, and subbed by the lovely Lizzy Bitakara'mire (formerly Clancy), scourge of improper syntax. The daily newsblog is edited by Corinna Downes, head administratrix of the CFZ, and the indexing is done by Lee Canty and Kathy Imbriani. There is regular news from the CFZ Mystery Cat study group, and regular fortean bird news from 'The Watcher of the Skies'. Regular bloggers include Dr Karl Shuker, Dale Drinnon, Richard Muirhead and Richard Freeman.The CFZ bloggo is updated daily, and there's nothing quite like it anywhere else. Come and join us...

Search This Blog

WATCH OUR WEEKLY WEBtv SHOW

SUPPORT OTT ON PATREON

SUPPORT OTT ON PATREON
Click on this logo to find out more about helping CFZtv and getting some smashing rewards...

SIGN UP FOR OUR MONTHLY NEWSLETTER



Unlike some of our competitors we are not going to try and blackmail you into donating by saying that we won't continue if you don't. That would just be vulgar, but our lives, and those of the animals which we look after, would be a damn sight easier if we receive more donations to our fighting fund. Donate via Paypal today...




Saturday, November 07, 2009

LINDSAY SELBY READS "THREE MEN"

Having to spend long hours in hospital waiting rooms and undergoing interminable tests, I needed something to keep me occupied and stop me becoming sane. I remembered I had a copy of Three Men Seeking Monsters, which I had been meaning to read for ages so armed with this and Terry Pratchett’s new book, and my little MP3 player with suitable ear tingling raucous rock music, I thought I might survive and remain eccentric and not turn into an old person. I have visions of being found sitting in the waiting room at the chest clinic covered in cobwebs in two years time. However, I digress; what this blog post is about is a review of the book.

I have never met any of the guys in person but after reading the book feel they are just my kind of people and can’t wait to meet them at the Weird Weekend. The book is a surreal journey into a Fortean world that exists on our doorsteps. The book is set in 2001 and Nick is about to move to the USA and with Jon and Richard embarks on a mission to investigate some phenomena before he leaves the UK to start his new life. He gets to Jon and Richard’s place to find a snapping turtle in residence and running loose and has to jump up on some rubbish bags until it is contained. That is just the start of a journey that takes them by campervan to everywhere from forests to government sites to Loch Ness (where Jon gets a fright). They show bravery in going on to investigate even when there is danger and warned off...or maybe it is alcohol-fuelled optimism (I suffer from that myself at times), but in parts it made me laugh so much I had an asthma attack. The two incidents that stick out are the exploration of the staircase and cellars in the creepy old house and the description of them in the woods at night, and Jon falling over because he is wearing a monocle just tickled me so much and was so vivid.

I would recommend the book to anyone who needs a laugh but there is a serious side to the book as well and the guys get themselves into some scrapes. Fortean investigation is not for the faint-hearted. All that remains to say is thanks, guys, for keeping me entertained. I have a few more tests to go yet and a few more long waits (three hours last time) but think I can find a few more Fortean books to while away the time, though I doubt they will be as amusing.

JON: Monocle. Pah!!!!

No comments: